Exporter_main_v2.py 'skipping full serialization of Keras layer' error

Hello,

Whenever I try to convert a trained checkpoint to a SavedModel using ‘exporter_main_v2.py’, I get a warning that says WARNING:tensorflow:Skipping full serialization of Keras layer

This is causing trouble for later operations that I want to perform with the trained model.

Any thoughts on why this might be happening? Is there any certain arguments that I need to pass to this function for it to convert properly?

Thanks.

2 Likes

It’s impossible to answer this without more details.

Can you figure out which layer it’s complaining about? It might be a custom layer missing the .get_config/.from_config methods.

If your model can’t be loaded as a keras model (tf.keras.models.load_model) it can probably still be loaded as a saved_model with tf.saved_model.load. That doesn’t give you access to the layers, but it will let you use the reloaded model, if that’s what you’re trying to do.

Hello,

I am trying to export the trained checkpoint of the SSD MobilenetV2 320x320 model found on TF2 Zoo http://download.tensorflow.org/models/object_detection/tf2/20200711/ssd_mobilenet_v2_320x320_coco17_tpu-8.tar.gz.

The command I am using is the following:
python ~/models/research/object_detection/exporter_main_v2.py --input_type image_tensor --pipeline_config_path pipeline.config --trained_checkpoint_dir ./checkpoint/ --output_directory exported_model/

The following attached screenshot shows the warning message that I get:

I am using tf-nightly.

Thank you for the reference. I am trying to find solutions through the link that you have sent but there seems to be no responses yet. Am I missing anything?

It is just a reference to the same topic on the github repository.

Have you tried with something like:

1 Like

I have previously looked at this but it is a different error than the warning that I am working with. I am able to successfully export a SavedModel from a trained checkpoint using ‘exporter_main_v2.py’ but the trouble I’m facing is working with the exported saved model after that. I need to convert the exported saved model to another format using a command that calls the function 'meta_optimizer.cc, which then returns an empty graph with 0 nodes and 0 edges after ‘optimizing’ it. I have posted a question about that specifically here https://tensorflow-prod.ospodiscourse.com/t/function-optimizer-py-returns-empty-graph/2724

Infact I am also getting this error. Due to this I am unable to export my model into tflite.