Object detection for ambiguous objects

I am trying to train a model with tf2 to find ambiguous objects such as small damages or small deformations in vehicles. I have tried several models but I have to lower the threshold to a lot so that it detects something … do you advise me some special model or some configuration for the pipeline.config? Thank you very much

From the my understanding, if the classes are very similar, you might need a very good dataset with lot’s of examples.

How many images/boxes are you using?

about 8700 images and about 6000 boxes … but the problem is that it is very difficult for the models (I have tried several) to detect these (both damage and deformation) types of objects … I need to lower the threshold of .30 (by default ) to find something … any ideas? Thank you so much

do you think the resolution of the input image could be too low? to a point where the model wouldn’t have enough information to make a decision?

I don’t think so because the naked eye is visible … all the images are 800x600 and most of the boxes are visible to the naked eye … I don’t think the data set is the problem, I have tried efficient models (d2 and d3) to lower the learning rate because if I did not start training, it gave me a nan in losses … the truth is that I am a bit lost and I don’t know which parts of the pipeline to modify or if I should look for another model … many thanks for your interest and help.