Padova University Project

We are a group of 4 people from Padova University, studying computer engineering.
The University assigned us a project that concern the analysis an open source code, and we choose your project. We have some quick questions about the project, and we wonder if some of the original developers were available to answer them. If this is the wrong place to ask, please give us the right contact

1 Like

Do you have any other details about your project? /cc @ewilderj @thea

1 Like

The purpose of our project is to do an analysis of the production process and an analysis of the evolution of the code according to the CK LOC and CC metrics. What we would like to ask you is if you could answer some questions written by us.

1 Like

@Toma , I would suggest you to post all your questions here with the numbers and whoever may have worked on specific part for particular question can answer it.

1 Like

Questions:

1. How was your approach to the project?
    ● How much time did you spend on developing the first working version of your
    project?
    ● How many people worked on the project in the beginning? Has this number
    changed over time?
    ● Have the roles of developers in general always been the same or have they
    changed over time? (ex. frontend/backend)
    ● Has the project’s strategy changed over time?
    1. Was everything decided at the beginning and then you implemented
    the project?
    2. Have you moved step by step, thinking of one feature at a time?
    3. have you all worked on the same feature or have you divided the
    features into subgroups?
    ● Did any problems arise during development? If so, how were they solved?

2. Did you build the project based on other existing projects, or was it a new idea?
    ● If it was new, what prompted you to create it? Necessity/Utility…

3. How did you test the code?
    ● Have you used special testing software? And if so, which ones?
    ● How often did you test the code? (ex.after each class/method/feature)
    ● Did you ask developers outside the project to test the code or did you do it?

4. Code management:
    ● Did you rather make the code less optimized but more “readable” or did you
    focus on maximum efficiency while ignoring readability?
    ● Did you prefer to release as soon as possible or did you go quietly to have a
    code as perfect as possible?

5. As an open source project, have you taken advice from other people?

6. (curiosity) How do you manage the costs? Have you received financial help(like
    crowd-funding or something else) from other people?

Thank you for your time,
Marco, Andrea, Andrea, Riccardo

2 Likes

Do you have any specific deadlines for these questions?

1 Like

We must deliver the project by 09/06/2021

1 Like

Do you know datelines for these questions?

1 Like

We already have @ewilderj @thea in the thread. I also add @yarri-oss.

I hope they could give you a feedback soon.

1 Like

I think many of these answers can be found quite easily, and others aren’t really as applicable to a project like TensorFlow. I think you might have a better time studying a more typical open source project such as curl.

I’m really sorry but I just don’t have time to go through the questions in detail, we tend to receive questionnaires like this on a relatively frequent basis.

If anyone wanted to work on a “History of TensorFlow” doc, I would definitely be up for contributing and getting answers for that, so we would be able to have something definitive.

2 Likes

@ewilderj , I would love to work on that doc and also want to know in depth. Can you please point me to the starting point? I would just require a starting point (Doc, code, email thread, google group thread, discussion anything would work). Please point me to anything that you know of and I will get started.

1 Like

But you really need to start from the origin of DistBelief

2 Likes