Splitting dataset into train, validate, test and ensuring equal representation of classes

Is there a way to split a dataset into train, validate, test datasets while maintaining an equal proportion of the classes in my dataset? In this case, I have seven classes. I would like to create datasets that are 0.8, 0.1, 0.1 for train, validate, test, respectively.
My class counts:

(array([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]),
 array([2955,  823,  740,   46, 1242,  580,  123]))

I realize class 3 is grossly underrepresented, and am working to remedy that. So just on a conceptual level, how would one go about this division?

Thanks!

Hi @John ,

One way is to use stratified sampling:

This is a method of sampling that ensures that the proportions of the different classes in the dataset are preserved in the training, validation, and test sets. To do this, you would first need to calculate the class proportions in your dataset. You can do this by dividing the number of samples in each class by the total number of samples in the dataset.

Once you have the class proportions, you can use them to create a stratified sample of your dataset. To do this, you would first need to shuffle the dataset. This will ensure that the samples are randomly selected. Then, you would start by selecting a number of samples from each class that is proportional to the class proportions. You would continue to do this until you have selected the desired number of samples for your training, validation, and test sets.

2 Another way to split your dataset into train, validate, and test sets while maintaining an equal proportion of the classes is to use a technique called oversampling. This is a method of increasing the number of samples in underrepresented classes. To do this, you would first need to identify the underrepresented classes in your dataset. You can do this by calculating the class proportions and identifying the classes with the lowest proportions.

Once you have identified the underrepresented classes, you can use a number of different techniques to oversample them. One common technique is to use the SMOTE algorithm. This algorithm creates new samples by interpolating between existing samples in the underrepresented classes.

Once you have oversampled the underrepresented classes, you can then split your dataset into train, validate, and test sets using any of the methods described above.

Please let me know if it helps you.

Thanks.

Thanks for your help @Laxma_Reddy_Patlolla !
I implemented functions to do similar to your suggestion 1 while awaiting an answer. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

I’ll check into SMOTE, as it sounds like something I need. Thanks!

def shuffle_pairs(X, y):
    """
    Shuffles a pair of arrays by their first dimension, maintaining correspondance between
    the arrays.

PARAMETERS:
        X: ndarray
            A three-dimensional array of examples of the form (examples, times, channels)
        y: ndarray
            A one-dimensional array of labels of the form (examples,)

RETURNS:
        X, y
    """
    assert X.shape[0] == y.shape[0]

p = np.random.permutation(X.shape[0])
    return X[p], y[p]

def train_validate_test_split(X, y, validate_size=0.1, test_size=0.1):
    """
    Divide examples and labels into train, validate, and test datasets, while maintaining
    the proportion of classes in labels.

PARAMETERS:
        X: ndarray
            A three-dimensional array of examples of the form (examples, times, channels)
        y: ndarray
            A one-dimensional array of labels of the form (examples,)
        validate_size: float
            Proportion of examples to use for validation (default 0.1)
        test_size: float
            Proportion of examples to use for test (default 0.1)

RETURNS:
        X_train, X_validate, X_test, y_train, y_validate, y_test
    """
    assert len(X) == len(y)

# np.random.seed(random_state)
    train_size = 1 - validate_size - test_size

assert (train_size + validate_size + test_size) == 1

labels, counts = np.unique(y, return_counts=True)

X_train = np.empty((0, X.shape[1], X.shape[2]))
    X_validate = np.empty((0, X.shape[1], X.shape[2]))
    X_test = np.empty((0, X.shape[1], X.shape[2]))
    y_train = np.empty((0))
    y_validate = np.empty((0))
    y_test = np.empty((0))
    for label in labels:
        num_validate = int(counts[label] * validate_size)
        num_test = int(counts[label] * test_size)
        num_train = counts[label] - num_validate - num_test

Xs_this_class = X[y == label]
        tr, va, te = np.split(Xs_this_class, [num_train, num_train + num_validate])
        X_train = np.concatenate((X_train, tr))
        X_validate = np.concatenate((X_validate, va))
        X_test = np.concatenate((X_test, te))
        y_train = np.concatenate((y_train, np.full(num_train, label)))
        y_validate = np.concatenate((y_validate, np.full(num_validate, label)))
        y_test = np.concatenate((y_test, np.full(num_test, label)))

X_train, y_train = shuffle_pairs(X_train, y_train)
    X_validate, y_validate = shuffle_pairs(X_validate, y_validate)
    X_test, y_test = shuffle_pairs(X_test, y_test)

print(
        f"X_train.shape = {X_train.shape}, X_validate.shape = {X_validate.shape}, X_test.shape = {X_test.shape}"
    )

print(f"There are {len(labels)} unique classes")
    print(list(zip(labels, counts)))
    print(f"y_train {np.unique(y_train, return_counts=True)}")
    print(f"y_validate {np.unique(y_validate, return_counts=True)}")
    print(f"y_test {np.unique(y_test, return_counts=True)}")

return X_train, X_validate, X_test, y_train, y_validate, y_test