Tags for coding environments / IDEs?

I noticed this discussion: What does your coding environment look like? and was wondering if it might be helpful to have an ide tag, and even tags for particular environments under an ide category (pycharm, vscode, colab, etc).

@Marcus @Laurence_Moroney WDYT?

3 Likes

I think there is always a natural tension between tags and categories.
Perhaps a policy could be used for the new categories by periodically monitoring the popularity of a group of tags.
Excluding the cases where it is immediately clear to us that we need a category, we could consider the creation of a new category as a sort of promotion for a group of particularly popular tags.

1 Like

Definitely part of the strategy. But I think there are also some tags that will be present across multiple categories that should remain tags.

1 Like

Not sure about ide but I vote for environment to be a tag. I have seen from novice to expert encounter bugs which have something to do with how they set-up the environment or how environment got messed up. I am expecting those discussions to show up often.

1 Like

I think that a container first approach could increase the environment reproducibility and reduce env related support requests.

1 Like