Tags for coding environments / IDEs?

I noticed this discussion: https://tensorflow-prod.ospodiscourse.com/t/what-does-your-coding-environment-look-like/33 and was wondering if it might be helpful to have an ide tag, and even tags for particular environments under an ide category (pycharm, vscode, colab, etc).

@Marcus @Laurence_Moroney WDYT?

3 Likes

I think there is always a natural tension between tags and categories.
Perhaps a policy could be used for the new categories by periodically monitoring the popularity of a group of tags.
Excluding the cases where it is immediately clear to us that we need a category, we could consider the creation of a new category as a sort of promotion for a group of particularly popular tags.

1 Like

Definitely part of the strategy. But I think there are also some tags that will be present across multiple categories that should remain tags.

1 Like

Not sure about ide but I vote for environment to be a tag. I have seen from novice to expert encounter bugs which have something to do with how they set-up the environment or how environment got messed up. I am expecting those discussions to show up often.

1 Like

I think that a container first approach could increase the environment reproducibility and reduce env related support requests.

1 Like