Unable to pip install TF decision forests

Hi all,
as many of you I was very excited to learn about TensorFlow Decision Forests, and especially that its API lies within Keras. However, I am unable to install it. My pip install returns the following message:

“ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement tensorflow_decision_forests (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for tensorflow_decision_forests”

Would you have any pointers here that could help me? Thanks very much in advance.

2 Likes

Hi Doug,

Sorry about the disagreement.

Can you share details about your operating system and python version.

Note that TF-DF is currently only available for Linux x64 with Pyhton>=3.6.

3 Likes

@Doug , Since TFDF is wrapper around Yggdrasil Decision Forest, you can see the troubleshooting guide there

2 Likes

Hi Mathieu,
Thanks for the response. Indeed I hadn’t noted that it works only in Linux (I’m using MacOS). Is there any expectation that it will be ported to other systems as well?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Many thanks for your kind sharing of this troubleshooting guide. As Mathieu said, it only works in Linux (and I am using MacOS). But when I use it in Colab, if I find any problem I will definitely refer to the Yggdrasil troubleshooting guide as you indicated.

Thanks!

2 Likes

@Doug , You can try running in ubuntu docker.

3 Likes

Thanks for the idea, @ashutosh1919. Actually I have started using it in Colab. For the benefit of others who might be running in cloud environments where machine may or may not be linux, I am posting below a code snippet that checks if the machine is linux, and if it s it installs tfdf.

from sys import platform
if platform != "linux" and platform != "linux":
  print("'tensorflow_decision_forests' is currently only available for Linux.")

try:
  import tensorflow_decision_forests
except ModuleNotFoundError:
  !pip install tensorflow_decision_forests
  import tensorflow_decision_forests as tfdf
4 Likes

I too have just spent considerable time building a new TF 2.5 cuda* environment for Windows (10, 64-bit) only to discover that the TFDF installation fails because there is “no matching distribution” (because, as I discover here, it is currently Linux only).

I reviewed the original announcement https://tensorflow-prod.ospodiscourse.com/t/tensorflow-decision-forests-0-1-3-open-sourced/758 and was working through the example (for installation info) at Introducing TensorFlow Decision Forests — The TensorFlow Blog and I did not find any mention of OS limitations.

Please could you update documentation, blog posts, etc. to make the Linux Only limitation clear?

@Doug’s question about when support for other OSes is expected also got lost in the mix - could you shed light on that as well?

Thx!

• i.e. docker, cloud etc. support doesn’t mitigate the issue for me