Update learning rate in concrate api

Hello

My model is exported and loaded in C. (No Python)
Tensorflow v2.9

The train concrete method is called by C. Its last parameter is a scaler tensor containing the rate to use.

The concrete method is built into a graph without eager execution.
How should I update the learning rate here?

@tf.function(input_signature=[tf.TensorSpec(shape=[None, 4, board_height, board_width],  dtype=tf.float32), 
                                  tf.TensorSpec(shape=[None, board_height * board_width],  dtype=tf.float32),
                                  tf.TensorSpec(shape=[],  dtype=tf.float32),
                                  tf.TensorSpec(shape=[1],  dtype=tf.float32) ])
        def train(self, state_batch, mcts_probs, winner_batch, lr):
            tf.keras.backend.set_value(self.model.optimizer.learning_rate, lr.eval())

with tf.GradientTape() as tape:
                predictions = self.model(state_batch, training=True)  # Forward pass
                # the loss function is configured in `compile()`
                loss = self.model.compiled_loss([mcts_probs, winner_batch], predictions, regularization_losses=self.model.losses)

gradients = tape.gradient(loss, self.model.trainable_variables)
            self.model.optimizer.apply_gradients(
                zip(gradients, self.model.trainable_variables))

entropy = tf.negative(tf.reduce_mean(
                tf.reduce_sum(tf.exp(predictions[0][0]) * predictions[0][0], 1)))

return (loss, entropy)

I tried

tf.keras.backend.set_value(self.model.optimizer.learning_rate, tf.gather(lr, 0))

But it failed with Cannot convert a symbolic tf.Tensor (GatherV2:0) to a numpy array

Also tried , but it says session is missing. Session is dropped in V2.

tf.keras.backend.set_value(self.model.optimizer.learning_rate,  lr.eval())

I also doubt this is wrong in a graph?

Can tf.keras.backend.set_value be used in a graph? How can I pass the lr for each execution?

Have you also tried with:

Yep, I see scheduler allows to change lr in a callback. But how can I pass the variable from a function call?

You can test it but I think you will find the same error as internally it is similar:

I solved the issue with following code

self.lr = tf.Variable(0.002, trainable=False, dtype=tf.dtypes.float32)

self.model.compile(optimizer=tf.keras.optimizers.Adam(learning_rate = self.lr),
                    loss=[self.action_loss, tf.keras.losses.MeanSquaredError()],
                    metrics=['accuracy'])

And in my train method : self.lr.assign(tf.gather(lr, 0))

1 Like