Can't get Tensorflow GPU to work on WSL 2

Hello.

I have installed the latest drivers, Cuda and Cudnn in the host machine and both Cuda and Cudnn inside the WSL.

If I use nvidia-smi I do see the GPU information, both outside and inside WSL:

sergio@DESKTOP-U0MALDT:~$ nvidia-smi
Thu Apr 25 18:24:10 2024
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 550.54.14              Driver Version: 551.78         CUDA Version: 12.4     |
|-----------------------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id          Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |           Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                        |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+========================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070        On  |   00000000:07:00.0  On |                  N/A |
|  0%   43C    P5             23W /  200W |    3082MiB /  12282MiB |     22%      Default |
|                                         |                        |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                              |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                              GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                               Usage      |
|=========================================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A        28      G   /Xwayland                                   N/A      |

However, when getting the list of available of GPUs through Tensorflow, I get an empty array:

sergio@DESKTOP-U0MALDT:~$ python3 -c "import tensorflow as tf; print(tf.config.list_physical_devices('GPU'))"
2024-04-25 18:29:16.082040: I tensorflow/core/platform/cpu_feature_guard.cc:210] This TensorFlow binary is optimized to use available CPU instructions in performance-critical operations.
To enable the following instructions: AVX2 FMA, in other operations, rebuild TensorFlow with the appropriate compiler flags.
2024-04-25 18:29:16.671581: W tensorflow/compiler/tf2tensorrt/utils/py_utils.cc:38] TF-TRT Warning: Could not find TensorRT
2024-04-25 18:29:17.248700: I external/local_xla/xla/stream_executor/cuda/cuda_executor.cc:984] could not open file to read NUMA node: /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:07:00.0/numa_node
Your kernel may have been built without NUMA support.
2024-04-25 18:29:17.280233: W tensorflow/core/common_runtime/gpu/gpu_device.cc:2251] Cannot dlopen some GPU libraries. Please make sure the missing libraries mentioned above are installed properly if you would like to use GPU. Follow the guide at https://www.tensorflow.org/install/gpu for how to download and setup the required libraries for your platform.
Skipping registering GPU devices...
[]

It tells me there are some missing libraries, however, I’ve installed everything listed in the tutorial and it is still giving me the very same output.

What should I do? How do I proceed from there?

1 Like

Welcome @SergioGMN to the TensorFlow Forum.

Unfortunately, the exact problems have been reported for Linux users as well!

A revised document addressing the issue of TensorFlow installation for Linux users with GPUs is pending review. Here is the link (pull request: #2299)

You could try the exact extra steps described in the document for Linux users.

The issue has been raised in GitHub #63362

I hope it helps!

1 Like