Grouped transposed convolution?

I wish we would have working grouped transposed convolutions. We waited for a long time to have (standard) grouped convolution in TF when it had been available in other frameworks for quite a while. We don’t need to set some kind of tradition over this.

2 Likes

We have a ticket at

1 Like

@Bhack Exactly. We used to have a ticket on grouped convolution too, and it took more than 2.5 years to close. (Issue #3332 on GitHub, can’t post link here). This one is 6 months old already (it could have been filed much earlier tbh) and I am just concerned history will repeat.

PyTorch has it since at least v0.2 (July 2017, about the time “Attention is all you need” was published to get an idea of how long in DL terms). My understanding is that even jax can do it using conv_general_dilated and some paracetamol.

1 Like

Yes but the grouped conv was contributed by the community in the end with:

I could ask to @thea to check if it the transposed group conv ticket could be labeled as contribution welcome or it is already the internal roadmap.

Also that specific ticket has not so much community upvotes.

1 Like

Thanks, I didn’t know this feature was eventually implemented by a contribution from the community. I am even more concerned about the implementation of this one now.

I get your remark about community upvotes. At the same time depthwise/grouped (transposed) convolutions are so ubiquitous, it is hard for me to understand the reluctance.

1 Like

@Bhack Exactly. We used to have a ticket on grouped convolution too, and it took more than 2.5 years to close. (Issue #3332 on GitHub, can’t post link here). This one is 6 months old already (it could have been filed much earlier tbh) and I am just concerned history will repeat.

We’re currently working through our issue backlog. Ultimately implementing changes comes down to bandwidth and the volume of requests in the community. It might be more difficult to implement than it looks like on the surface.

Thanks for flagging this thread. I think it’s important to also ensure that further discussion validating this bug happens on the bug thread – that way our triagers and maintainers have full context in a single place. I’ll leave this thread open for now in case maintainers would like to respond here, but may close it in the future to ensure that relevant details and use cases are added to the bug.

I could ask to @thea to check if it the transposed group conv ticket could be labeled as contribution welcome or it is already the internal roadmap.

@Bhack Can you add a mention on the bug that it might be a good candidate for contributions welcome so that can be looked at as part of the ongoing issue grooming work?

3 Likes