[LATEST ISSUE] Customizing activation function and loading saved H5 file issue

Last April 2023, I tried customizing an activation function and one of the problems that I’ve encountered is that even though it works during training every time I load the h5 file I encountered a deserialization error because of the customized activation function. Although it is resolved using the codes from my previous inquiry because the issue is more like an unupdated Tensorflow documentation about object customization. Here is the link: Customizing activation function and loading saved H5 file issue - General Discussion - TensorFlow Forum

This time I encountered the same problem but I find some unusual message as I save my model into an h5 file using “model.save()” which says “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/keras/src/engine/training.py:3000: UserWarning: You are saving your model as an HDF5 file via model.save(). This file format is considered legacy. We recommend using instead the native Keras format, e.g. model.save('my_model.keras').
saving_api.save_model(”

and as I try to load my saved h5 file with my customized activation function using “tf.keras.models.load_model” then I encounter this TypeError message again about the error when deserializing a class in my h5 file.

Can anyone give me a sample code of how to customize an activation function properly and how can I solve my current issue in opening the h5 file with the customize activation function?

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc… Thank you!

Hey @luther88.
Did you try out the solution suggested in the error regarding model saving : We recommend using instead the native Keras format, e.g. model.save(‘my_model.keras’) .` ? How did it go?
Also can you provide your code? Details on your Python, TF, etc… versions ?
Thank you.

Hello @tagoma , thank you for raising this!

I tried saving the model under “new_model.save()” which uses the same syntax when saving the model which is similar to “model.save()” in addition since I’m using google colab I need to establish the file path where I’m saving the model. I’m actually following the correct syntax given in the image below.

I think, I know now how to solve the problem. During Tensorflow updates its documentation when it regards to custom objects, the addition of serialization and deserialization aside to get_cofig method creates another layer of code to save the custom object and to be loadable. Here is the link: Save, serialize, and export models | TensorFlow Core

1 Like