Model for sentiment analysis in Nigerian (and other) languages

Hi. Very new to this forum and more to Tensorflow, and I had a quick question that I hope someone can help me in.

Basically, I’m working with a set of languages (hausa, yoruba and igbo) that do not have a reliable sentiment analysis model to process text with - unless I missed something. What I want is to create a custom model for each of these languages where the model scores and returns the sentiment of a sentence as accurately as possible.

I’m not sure how to approach this. What I did first is got a training dataset where the text and its sentiment (human scored), vectorized the text and created a model (using an Embedding layer). The accuracy wasn’t the best but I don’t know if that is the way to continue. Selecting the right hyperparameters seems like a separate job on its own.

Can anyone recommend on how you might approach this? And if there’s documentation on how a sentiment analysis model using these languages (or any non-English) language is created?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, welcome to the forum, Is this for

https://lacunafund.org/language-2020-awards/

Hello.

No, this is an internal company project (for now). We are trying to perform sentiment analysis on the Nigerian languages without translating to English but haven’t found anything of note.

I suggest you to contact this group:

It would be really nice if you will contribute a dataset on these low resources launguage to our datasets collection at:

More in general you could start to explore something like:

3 Likes