ROCm build failure

Hello!

I’m just curious if anyone else is able to build Tensorflow with ROCm support. Does anyone have advice with this?

ERROR: /app/tensorflow/tensorflow/core/grappler/clusters/BUILD:15:16: Compiling tensorflow/core/grappler/clusters/utils.cc [for tool] failed: (Exit 1): crosstool_wrapper_driver_is_not_gcc failed: error executing command (from target //tensorflow/core/grappler/clusters:utils) external/local_config_rocm/crosstool/clang/bin/crosstool_wrapper_driver_is_not_gcc -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -fstack-protector -Wall -Wunused-but-set-parameter -Wno-free-nonheap-object -fno-omit-frame-pointer ... (remaining 165 arguments skipped)
/app/cache/bazel/_bazel_fff/d474e4552961aede2429fe575c11afab/execroot/org_tensorflow/external/local_config_rocm/crosstool/clang/bin/crosstool_wrapper_driver_is_not_gcc:162: SyntaxWarning: invalid escape sequence '\.'
  re.search('\.cpp$|\.cc$|\.c$|\.cxx$|\.C$', f)]
/app/cache/bazel/_bazel_fff/d474e4552961aede2429fe575c11afab/execroot/org_tensorflow/external/local_config_rocm/crosstool/clang/bin/crosstool_wrapper_driver_is_not_gcc:23: DeprecationWarning: 'pipes' is deprecated and slated for removal in Python 3.13
  import pipes
tensorflow/core/grappler/clusters/utils.cc: In function 'tensorflow::DeviceProperties tensorflow::grappler::GetLocalGPUInfo(tsl::PlatformDeviceId)':
tensorflow/core/grappler/clusters/utils.cc:138:41: error: 'hipDeviceProp_tR0600' {aka 'struct hipDeviceProp_tR0600'} has no member named 'gcnArch'
  138 |       strings::StrCat("gfx", properties.gcnArch);
      |                                         ^~~~~~~
Target //tensorflow/tools/pip_package:build_pip_package failed to build
Use --verbose_failures to see the command lines of failed build steps.
INFO: Elapsed time: 668.560s, Critical Path: 58.82s
INFO: 12732 processes: 1973 internal, 10759 local.
FAILED: Build did NOT complete successfully

Whoops! I realized after reading this that I gave almost zero information. And maybe this is next to zero information, but I suppose it’s a place to start!

ROCm: 6.0
Clang: 17
Bazel: 6.5
Tensorflow: 2.17 (pulled from git repo)

gcnArch field was removed in ROCm 6.0. Try to build with ROCm 5.7.2 in favor of gcnArchName.

Looks like Tensorflow from git is still not compatible with ROCm 6.0.