Shape mismatch in custom layer

I have a custom layer, GlobalAttentionPoolingHead, which is meant to reduce the outputs from a transformer base model to a single vector. The theory can be seen at QARAC: Models andCorpora.

import keras
import tensorflow

class GlobalAttentionPoolingHead(keras.layers.Layer):

def __init__(self):
        """
        Creates the layer

Returns
        -------
        None.

"""
        super(GlobalAttentionPoolingHead,self).__init__()
        self.global_projection = None
        self.local_projection = None

def build(self,input_shape):
        """
        Initialises layer weights

Parameters
        ----------
        input_shape : tuple
            Shape of the input layer

Returns
        -------
        None.

"""
        width = input_shape[-1]
        self.global_projection = self.add_weight('global projection',shape=(width,width))
        self.local_projection = self.add_weight('local projection',shape=(width,width))
        self.built=True

def call(self,X,training=None):
        """

Parameters
        ----------
        X : tensorflow.Tensor
            Base model vectors to apply pooling to.
        training : bool, optional
            Not used. The default is None.

Returns
        -------
        tensorflow.Tensor
            The pooled value.

"""
        gp = tensorflow.linalg.l2_normalize(tensorflow.tensordot(tensorflow.reduce_sum(X,
                                                                                       axis=1),
                                                                  self.global_projection,
                                                                 axes=1),
                                            axis=1)
        lp = tensorflow.linalg.l2_normalize(tensorflow.tensordot(X,
                                                                 self.local_projection,
                                                                 axes=1),
                                            axis=2)
        attention = tensorflow.tensordot(lp,gp,axes=1)
        return tensorflow.reduce_sum(attention *X,
                                     axis=1)

I expect the input shape to be (batch_size,samples,width), and I’m exoecting batch size to be 32 and width to be 768.

When I try to fit this model, I’m getting

File "/home/peter/QARAC/qarac/models/layers/GlobalAttentionPoolingHead.py", line 75, in call
    attention = tensorflow.tensordot(lp,gp,axes=1)
tensorflow.python.framework.errors_impl.InvalidArgumentError: Exception encountered when calling layer 'global_attention_pooling_head_1' (type GlobalAttentionPoolingHead).

{{function_node __wrapped__MatMul_device_/job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/device:CPU:0}} Matrix size-incompatible: In[0]: [42,768], In[1]: [3,768] [Op:MatMul] name: 

Call arguments received by layer 'global_attention_pooling_head_1' (type GlobalAttentionPoolingHead):
  • X=tf.Tensor(shape=(3, 14, 768), dtype=float32)
  • training=False

What is happening here and how can I fix it?

Hi @Peter_Bleackley ,

In the call method of your GlobalAttentionPoolingHead layer, you have this line of code:

attention = tensorflow.tensordot(lp, gp, axes=1)

The error message indicates that the shapes of lp and gp are not compatible for matrix multiplication along axis 1.

The error message indicates that the dimensions of the two input tensors to the tensordot() function are incompatible. The first tensor has dimensions [42, 768], and the second tensor has dimensions [3, 768]. The two tensors must have the same number of dimensions in order for the tensordot() function to work.

To fix the error, you need to reshape one of the input tensors so that it has the same number of dimensions as the other input tensor. In this case, you need to reshape the second tensor (the one with dimensions [3, 768]) to have dimensions [42, 3].

I hope this helps!

Thanks.

Using vectorized_map solved this for me.

1 Like