Tensorflow 2.10 vs 2.12, same training script, same data, significantly worse training for 2.12

I use this code Masked Autoencoder - Vision Transformer | Kaggle to train a network a transformer autoencoder. If I use the code under tensorflow 2.10, I obtain way better results than if I use 2.12. I don’t change the code, the data are the same, the pipeline is identical and a large number of repetitions of training shows a consistent behavior both under 2.10 and 2.12.

Screenshot from 2023-07-29 12-03-25

This example image shows the training and validation for 2.10 (blue and red curves, respectively) and for 2.12 (blue and orange curves on the top).
I don’t know what could generate such different results if it comes from the same code. I would appreciate if someone had a method to track down the issue.

• I saw that one big difference is the change of optimizer between 2.10 and the next versions. It is still possible to use the legacy version of adam but it did not change the results.
  • I tried with 2.11, 2.12 and 2.13 using the docker image provided by the tensorflow team. All on the same computer, with the same architecture using the same GPU and the results are still significantly worse with versions newer than 2.10.

How could I track why the results are so different?

Thanks!

Hi @Pierre_Daye

Welcome to the TensorFlow Forum!

I have tried replicating the same code in Google Colab using TensorFlow 2.10, 2.13 and 2.14 and found slightly better metrics outputs compare to TF 2.10. Please find the replicated gists attached in TF versions for your reference.

Could you please try again once using the latest stable TensorFlow version 2.14 and let us know if the issue still persists. Thank you.