Tensorflow installation - DLL initialization routine failure

I am a new comer to the TensorFlow world and I have been struggling to get started. I have tried several ways to install and run Tensorflow in my Jupyter Lab environment but have not been successful. I consistently get this typical error message shown here “(machinelearning_python) C:\Users\olall\OneDrive\Desktop\1 Machine Learning>python -c “import tensorflow as tf; print(tf.reduce_sum(tf.random.normal([1000, 1000])))”
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “C:\Users\olall.conda\envs\machinelearning_python\Lib\site-packages\tensorflow_init_.py”, line 42, in
from tensorflow.python import tf2 as _tf2
File “C:\Users\olall.conda\envs\machinelearning_python\Lib\site-packages\tensorflow\python\tf2.py”, line 21, in
from tensorflow.python.platform import _pywrap_tf2
ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _pywrap_tf2: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.”

Could someone help me resolve this please?

Thanks

Andrew

To resolve the DLL initialization routine failure error with TensorFlow, follow these steps:

1. Check CUDA/cuDNN Versions: Ensure you have the correct versions of CUDA and cuDNN that match your TensorFlow version.
  2. Set Environment Variables: Make sure CUDA and cuDNN paths are added to your system’s PATH.
  3. Reinstall TensorFlow: Try uninstalling and reinstalling TensorFlow.
  4. Switch to TensorFlow CPU: If GPU support isn’t crucial, install tensorflow-cpu instead to avoid CUDA/cuDNN issues.
  5. Verify Installation: Test your TensorFlow installation with a simple command to ensure the error is resolved.

Tim,
Thanks for your reply.
I still have the same problem occuring. I have tried installing with conda/pip/ and !pip in Jupyter lab, but still get the same error message. I am using a windows machine (window 10) with just a cpu and have, indeed, uninstalled and re-installed ‘tensorflow-cpu’. The pip installation completes without any error message, but upon testing the installation, I get the ImportError: "DLL load failed while importing _pywrap_tf2: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.” The conda installation does not work. It cannot resolve the environmental issues, and therefore the installation is cannot be completed. I have even tried all these with python=3.10 installed in the env, but I still get the same result.

Hi @Andrew_Olal

Welcome to the TensorFlow Forum!

Could you please provide some more details on the issues like which system OS you are using, the installed Python/TensorFlow version and what all the steps you followed to have TensorFlow installed in your system?

Also, Please refer to this TF install official link and follow the mentioned instructions stepwise to install TensorFlow in your system.

Let us know if the issue still persists. Thank you.

Hello there,

I have the same issue as Andrew’s. I have tried a lot of things suggested in stackoverflow and here but the error persist.

I have the ff:
Python 3.9.13(I tried 3.11 and 3.12)
Tensorflow:2.16.1(I had 2.12 before working fine with python 3.11 but I needed keras 3)
I use pip version 22.0.4

I have downloaded and installed microsoft visual c++ 2015 to 2022 redistributable package (x64), but the error persist.

I use jupyterlab, vs code. Here is the error:

C:\Users\Cynthia>python
Python 3.9.13 (tags/v3.9.13:6de2ca5, May 17 2022, 16:36:42) [MSC v.1929 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

import tensorflow
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “C:\Users\Cynthia\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\site-packages\tensorflow_init_.py”, line 42, in
from tensorflow.python import tf2 as _tf2
File “C:\Users\Cynthia\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\site-packages\tensorflow\python\tf2.py”, line 21, in
from tensorflow.python.platform import _pywrap_tf2
ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _pywrap_tf2: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.

I would really appreciate your assistance