TF Object Detection retrain a model based on new datasets

Hi guys. Quick question. Maybe one of you can help me with it. :slight_smile:

Let’s say I have trained a model that detects a specific object in images like cats and after a few weeks I collected new data that I would like to use to further improve my model. Can I continue the training of the saved model with the new data or do I have to “create” (train) a new model based on the old and new data sets?
Nothing, concerning what I want the object detection model to detect, changes. I simply want to give it more data to improve but I can’t find an answer to the question, if I should train a completely new model or if I can continue the training of the current one?

Thx for taking your time to help me out. :slight_smile:

@ChrisLo Welcome to Tensorflow Forum!

You’re correct about having two options for improving your cat detection model with new data: continuing training the existing model or training a new one from scratch with both the old and new data. Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages:

1. Continuing training the existing model:

• Advantages:
    • Faster training time as the model already has some knowledge about cats.
    • Potentially better performance on initial examples it was trained on due to retaining those learned features.
    • Avoids training a model from scratch, saving computational resources.
  • Disadvantages:
    • Might be prone to overfitting to the new data, especially if the new data has different characteristics or biases.
    • May not learn new features effectively if the initial model architecture is limited.
    • Requires careful consideration of learning rate and optimizer settings to avoid destabilizing the existing training progress.

2. Training a new model from scratch with both datasets:

• Advantages:
    • Leverages all available data, potentially leading to better overall performance and adaptability.
    • Less risk of overfitting to specific characteristics of either dataset.
    • Allows for utilizing a different model architecture if needed to capture new features in the data.
  • Disadvantages:
    • Requires more training time than continuing the existing model.
    • May potentially lose some performance on the initial examples used in the first training round.
    • Requires more computational resources, especially for complex model architectures.

Choosing the best approach:

The best approach depends on several factors, including:

• Size and diversity of the new data: If the new data is small or doesn’t significantly differ from the old data, continuing training might be sufficient.
  • Desired model performance: If you need the best possible performance across all types of cat images, training a new model from scratch might be better.
  • Computational resources: Training a new model from scratch requires more resources, so continuing training might be preferred if resources are limited.
  • Time constraints: Continuing training might be faster, especially for large datasets.

Recommendation:

It’s generally recommended to try both approaches and compare the resulting models’ performance on a validation set. This will give you the most concrete data-driven decision on which approach is best for your specific case.
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer, and the best approach depends on your specific needs and data.

I hope this helps!