Why missing more than 20% of video memory with TensorFlow both Linux and Windows? [RTX 3080]

Hello everyone, I have a 10GB 3080RTX GPU, NVidia-smi reports 10014MiB memory, Tensorflow reports:

Created device /job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/device:GPU:0 with 7591 MB memory

After initial research I was convinced that this is related to Windows 10 OS limitations, so I installed Ubuntu 20.04 in dual boot. It didn’t change anything, I tried various versions of Tensorflow, Cuda, Cudnn:

• Tensorflow: 2.5.0, 2.5.1, 2.6.0
  • Cuda Toolkit: 11.2, 11.4
  • CuDNN: 8.1.0, 8.1.1, 8.2.4
  • Python: 3.8.10

I tried using:

physical_devices = tf.config.list_physical_devices('GPU')
for gpu_instance in physical_devices:
    tf.config.experimental.set_memory_growth(gpu_instance, True)

It didn’t fix the problem. Also, I tried:

from tensorflow.compat.v1 import ConfigProto
from tensorflow.compat.v1 import InteractiveSession

config = ConfigProto()
config.gpu_options.per_process_gpu_memory_fraction = 1.0
session = InteractiveSession(config=config)

And indeed, TensorFlow started to report proper full 10GB of memory in ‘Created device’ message, so tf should see the memory properly. With this method I was able to push memory to something like 8GB and it even allowed me to run slightly higher batch size. But, if I specify fraction of more than 0.8 (it may slightly vary from run-to-run) than i have:

2021-09-26 12:48:26.691479: F tensorflow/core/util/cuda_solvers.cc:115] Check failed: cusolverDnCreate(&cusolver_dn_handle) == CUSOLVER_STATUS_SUCCESS Failed to create cuSolverDN instance.

One important thing to note, is that while TensorFlow is reporting a device with ~7.5GB, in nvidia-smi it is reporting more than 9GB by /usr/bin/python3! I am not running any other Python script in parallel.

So, the memory usage in reality is reaching its limits while I am able to use only 7.5GB, which is even less than known 81% limitation for Windows 10 users! Why am I being allocated almost extra 2GB on top which I can’t use?

I was trying to fix it for a long time and really don’t have any idea what to do now. Other people’s problems with missing tf memory that I found on Internet were related to Windows OS, mine is not. Am I missing something? I would really appreciate any idea on what is going on.
Thank you in advance.

@Dmitry_Hrybov,

Welcome to the Tensorflow Forum! Apologies for the delayed reply.

One important thing to note, is that while TensorFlow is reporting a device with ~7.5GB, in nvidia-smi it is reporting more than 9GB by /usr/bin/python3! I am not running any other Python script in parallel.

The issue is Tensorflow leaves some memory unallocated for CUDA libraries to use

On Ampere GPUs like the RTX 3080 mentioned in this post, 1536MiB is left unallocated.

As a workaround, you can set the TF_DEVICE_MIN_SYS_MEMORY_IN_MB environmental variable to an integer specifying the number of megabytes TF leaves for CUDA libraries.

Thank you!